There might have been a few showers on Saturday morning, but this weekend was pretty close to perfect here in Kennebunkport. The showers cleared up any humidity and the evening sunsets have be stellar. Plus with sunset still around 8:30 pm, there is so much daylight to enjoy the Maine Coast and the charm of Dock Square. But after sitting on the porch this afternoon with a refreshing glass of iced tea and watching the horse-drawn carriage roll by, I got thinking about what makes summertime in Maine so incredible. So here are my top 10 things about summer in Kennebunkport!
- Beach roses and colorful gardens. The gentle fragrance of Rosa Rugosa is the classic signal of summer, and because the coastline climate is perfect for these bushes, you’ll find beach roses blooming all over town. We’ve got a few here at our Kennebunkport Inn but our multitude of gardens are perfect for exploring and set the tone for rest and relaxation.
- Afternoon naps in the hammock – ’nuff said. Fortunately we’ve got several in the backyard just begging for a snooze.
- Horse-drawn carriage rides and vintage trolleys that get visitors acquainted with the area. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the weather, wiffs of the salt air, and the scenery of Historic Kennebunkport.
- Checking out the scenic Maine Coastline – on foot, by bicycle or scooter, or even on the water! Ditch your diet at the border, and explore the classic Maine craggy coat, breathtaking views of the Atlantic, or miles of soft sandy beach all in one afternoon. Pick up bikes or kayaks at nearby Coastal Maine Kayak and Bike or head up the road just a bit for your very own moped rental. And if you’d rather let the wind do the work, hop aboard the Schooner Eleanor or the Pineapple Ketch for sailboat rides along the coast.
- Some might say that the West Coast offers the best sunsets, but sunsets here in Kennebunkport will give them a run for their money! So grab dinner or dessert and hit the shore for a sunset picnic that’s out of this world!
- Lobster fresh off the boat. While restaurants in other vacation destinations might boast Maine lobster, we’ve got the real deal fresh off the boat! Check out Nunan’s Lobster Hut – an old-fashioned lobster hut that sits right at the top of our “don’t miss” list.
- Outdoor dining right on the water – fortunately our seaside location means that many Kennebunkport restaurants offer open-air eating areas, and many local favorites like Arundel Wharf Restaurant, David’s, the Hurricane, and Federal Jack’s offer ideal spots. But you couldn’t get any closer than at the Spirit of Massachusetts, a great new (ish) restaurant in a converted sailboat!
- Barefoot walks on the beach! Since Kennebunkport Maine sits in a special spot on the Maine Coast that boasts soft sandy beaches and that classic rocky shoreline, you can kick off your shoes and enjoy the beach!
- Awesome ice cream! With staples like Ben and Jerry’s, soft serve fro-yo, and Gifford’s available around town, there’s no way to go wrong, but recently Rococo was named one of the top 10 ice cream shops in the nation, earning “ice cream” a solid spot on our top 10 list!
- Breakfast on the Porch – Maybe I’m a little biased, but this is the best part! What better way is there than to start off a Maine summer vacation than gourmet breakfast on our wraparound porch overlooking Historic Kennebunkport Maine?
While this list is just a few of my favorite things about summer in Kennebunkport Maine, there are countless things to do, enjoy and explore during the summer months. No matter what interests you, all of us at the Maine Stay Inn are happy to help you figure out your “top 10” list for a coastal Maine visit this summer!