The last week or so has featured some surprisingly spring-like days, which got me thinking about how summer is not far away… which then got me thinking about the top 5 best things about summer on the Maine Coast! Even though it is just February, the smell of salty is in the air (and not the kind you use to melt ice!), and the melting snow really says “Spring is coming!” But the truth is that spring and summer are just around the corner, which means it is time to get planning that vacation to the Maine coast and Kennebunkport Maine. So here are just a few of my favorite things to do during the warm weather that is just around the corner!
- Lobster! (Or lob-stahhhh if you’re a true New Englander) One of my favorite spots to enjoy this
Maine delight is Nunan’s Lobster Hut, an old-fashioned lobster shack that is just picture-perfect! Family run for generations, members of the Nunan family can be found hauling traps, setting tables, and manning the kitchen – that means no middle-man, so amazing prices and more lobster and butter to enjoy!
- Barefoot walks on the beach (or with shoes – whatever suits your fancy!) – Kennebunkport Maine is a special spot on the Maine Coast, because in addition to that classic rocky shoreline, we also have gorgeous sandy beaches! Grab some of the beach chairs, towels, and umbrellas we provide to guests of the Maine Stay Inn and get comfy – kick off your shoes and dig your toes into the sand!
- Ice creams strolls through Dock Square – Ben and Jerry’s, Aunt Marie’s, YoGoody’s, and Rococo all mean that you’ve got lots of choices for enjoying a scoop or two while checking out the shops and galleries dotting the streets of Dock Square. And if you catch one of the spectacular sunsets from the Lanigan Bridge connecting Kennebunk’s Lower Village and Kennebunkport, even better!
- Al Fresco dining! The Kennebunkport dining scene is absolutely amazing, and the only thing that could possibly make it better is dining outside in the fresh sea air! Fortunately there are countless restaurants in town that offer al fresco dining. But just a short stroll from our Kennebunkport hotel, you’ll find Arundel Wharf Restaurant, David’s KPT, and Hurricane Restaurant all right on the water!
- Outdoor activities abound on the Maine coast, so whether you choose to kayak or canoe, enjoy a sunset sail on the Schooner Eleanor, or a horse-drawn carriage ride through the historic tree-lined streets of Kennebunkport, there is surely something up your alley!
A “Top 5” obviously can’t encompass everything that makes Kennebunkport and the Maine Coast so special. But there’s no question, Kennebunkport offers everything to make your getaway to the Maine Coast exactly what you imagined!