Kennebunkport Maine is often referred to as one of New England’s most romantic destinations, and there is no truer time to experience the romance than during the month of February, as the town comes alive with the spirit of the season for “Paint the Town Red.” For an entire month, the charming seaside village is alight with twinkling red, white, and pink lights, and is adorned in hearts as far as the eye can see!
Some may see the displays of cards and candy hearts in the grocery store and pharmacy as a little over the top (or “nauseating,” in my mother’s words), but Kennebunkport pulls off a Valentine’s celebration that is pure class, and not your grandmother’s red light district.
The town’s boutiques sport stunning window displays, and incredible “red tag” sales on their unique wares, while the area restaurants offer “red plate specials” that are sure to whet your whistle. Whether you choose to spend the day enjoying a walk along the beach, trekking through nature preserves, ice skating hand-in-hand, or just enjoying the beauty of the town, there’s sure to be lots of delicious warm beverages waiting for you when you return to our boutique Kennebunkport hotel!
Some of the events to look forward to include:
- Bissell Brothers Tap Takeover: from 5-9 PM on Thursday, February 2 at Alisson’s in Dock Square, enjoy the handcrafted beers by Portland’s own Bissell Brothers
- Bubbles & Truffles: Take your Superbowl weekend sampling up a notch with chef Pierre Gignac of Ocean Restaurant on Saturday, February 4 at 2:00 PM. Learn (and sample, of course!) the techniques of chocolate truffle preparation accompanied by a tasting of sparkling wines – yum!
- “Meet the Brewery & Pizza Making Class”: Take on the challenge of pizza making while learning about different beers at Ports of Italy from 3-5 PM. Plus, sample brews from craft breweries all over New England! For just $15 per person, this is the perfect way to spend a Saturday! Call Ports of Italy at 207-204-0365 to book your spot. February 4, 11, 18, and 25.
- Take on the Diva Disco Dance Party! Saturday, February 2 from 7-11 PM at the Kennebunkport Bicycle Company. Donations benefit Downeast Divas Team in Training on their quest to help fight blood cancers.
- On February 11 from 10am to 1pm, warm up to the core with “Soup & Snow Stroll”: Boulangerie, a Proper Bakery and Kennebunk Land Trust are coming together to provide a snow shoe (or walking) adventure at the Mousam River Wildlife Sanctuary, after which participants will return for delicious artisanal warm beverages, soup and a sweet treat at Boulangerie. The walk will last about 2 hours, followed by the hour (or so) long lunch.
- Bandaloop will be hosting an Artisan Market from 12-5 PM on February 11 – so snag a special gift for your sweetheart! Plus, their bar will be open, and that is something not to miss!
- Wines & Valentines Wine Pairing at the Kennebunkport Inn: February 11 at 2:00 PM
- Kennebunk’s Waterhouse Center offers old-fashioned ice skating every day of the week, but on February 11, you can enjoy “Date Skate” at 4 PM! Love songs and a live DJ will set the mood, and afterward, you can head next door to the Kennebunk Inn for “Paint the Town Red” cocktails and delicious dinners! On February 15, don’t miss out on “Diva Love” with a Downeast Diva cocktail party and raffle at the Kennebunk Inn!
- Salt & Honey will host a special Valentine’s Day Red Wine Dinner at 6:30 PM, where you can join their Chef Jackson Yordon and the Sommelier of Wine Wise (Erica Archer) for a four-course red wine dinner.
- Channel your inner mixologist with “Emotional Mixology with Ben Lohnes” on Saturday, February 18 at 2 PM at the Kennebunkport Inn, and learn how to match your drink to your mood!
- Love the menu at David’s KPT? Check out what’s coming on the menu this season with “David’s Test Kitchen” on Tuesday, February 21 at 6 PM! Cocktail welcome and dinner complete with samples from six new recipes! Dinner $45+ per person, $25 additional per person for wine tastings.
With the calendar jam-packed with events, there’s no better place for a Valentine’s Day getaway than to Kennebunkport Maine! Plus, with our “Paint the Town Red” specials, you’ll be treated to the most romantic and luxurious setting for your special getaway at the Maine Stay Inn!