One of the questions I am asked most frequently is what visitors should do and see during their Kennebunkport Maine vacation, and honestly, it’s a hard question to answer, because it really depends on what you like to do! I mean, many people come to Kennebunkport to enjoy the plethora of great shops with unique assortments that you just can’t find in many places. But I am not really a shopper, so chances are that won’t be at the tippity-top of my must-do list. Now don’t get me wrong, I certainly enjoy having such high quality stores within a short walk from the Maine Stay Inn, because if I need a new pair of shoes or a special gift, I never have to go very far to find the perfect thing! Now, I for one really like to play outside, no matter the weather or the season – so give me a great hike, bike, or run any day. But I definitely know that’s not everyone’s cup of tea, so I’ve made my must-do list for Kennebunkport Maine with that in mind. So here goes!
- Check out the beach. While much of Maine is known for its craggy rocky coast, Kennebunkport is lucky to have long stretches of pristine sand as well. Because the seascape changes so rapidly, I think you should visit the coast every day, and since I love to be outside, I am always in favor of a brisk walk. Fortunately for those who aren’t so nature loving, there are beautiful benches along the wide sidewalks by Kennebunk beach. That means enjoying the water without having to get sandy or messy!
- See the Bush Compound. It might sound hokey, but it’s one thing you have to do. And not just because it’s a Presidential retreat, but because their property is one of the most stunning pieces of land in Kennebunkport Maine. The way the water crashes on the rocks of their peninsula and the sea gets calm as it comes into the inlet is just breathtaking. Do it – you won’t regret it.
- Visit Cape Porpoise. This quaint fishing village sits in the eastern end of town and is still home to a working fish pier. During the afternoon, you’re sure to find all the lobster boats moored in the harbor and a pile of traps on the dock – just perfect for a great photo session.
- Have a lobster dinner. Assuming you’re not allergic to shellfish, that is! And while I think that you’ll get the classic lobster shack experience at Nunan’s Lobster Hut, the truth is that no Kennebunkport restaurant is going to steer you wrong.
- Stroll through Dock Square, whether its for shopping, dining, walking or just people watching. The iconic center of town is just a short stroll from the Maine Stay and is not to be missed!
These are just a few of the items that top my list of things to do in town, and it’s certainly not complete. There are millions of ways to spend the days during your Kennebunkport Maine Vacation, and we at the Maine Stay Inn are more than happy to make suggestions based on what you like to do – we’re your travel agent and concierge all in one!