It’s October and that means that fall foliage season is underway here on the Maine Coast. Columbus Day Weekend is right around the corner, and that usually marks the peak of leaf peeping, but despite predictions that the leaves would be turning on the early side, we are actually a bit behind schedule, with colors solidly in the “turning” stage, but not in the “moderate” stage yet!
Much of September had been warmer than usual, but this week is really starting to feel like autumn! And that means that our breakfast menus are featuring seasonal favorites – so not only is fall in the air, it’s on your plate! But lovely warm (and sunny) weather is in the forecast for the holiday weekend, and that means that it’s the perfect time to enjoy the fun fall events on the calendar.
In addition to enjoying the glorious weather ahead and the natural beauty of the Kennebunkport area, here are some events not to be missed this Columbus Day Weekend:
- Wine and cheese artists reception on Friday at the Rusty Fly Gallery, just a short stroll from the Maine Stay Inn
- Performances of “From Here to Eternity” at the Ogunquit Playhouse include evening and matinee – this incredible musical set in Hawaii after Pearl Harbor tells the story of two soldiers in love with the wrong women
- On Saturday, check out the awesome vintage buses, trains, and trolleys at the Seashore Trolley Museum‘s Transit Day
- Curious about the stunning private homes in the Kennebunkport area? Enjoy the Coastal Kitchen Tour from 10-3 on Saturday, October 7 with all proceeds benefitting the local senior center
- No holiday weekend would be complete without an amazing Craft Fair, so head south the neighboring town of Wells for an enormous two-day indoor craft fair!
- If you’re anticipating indulging in the amazing food on the Maine Coast, bring your running shoes for 5K, 10K, half marathon, and full marathon races at the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust’s Trail Fest!
- All weekend long, you can enjoy the spirit of the season with great events that feature the fall foliage at the Wells Reserve. Whether you take part in their Mindful Hiking, their fall foliage tour, or a guided tour of their sculpture installations, there are tons of great activities on the calendar
But no matter how you choose to spend the upcoming Columbus Day Weekend here in Kennebunkport, you’re sure to enjoy the glories of fall foliage season on the Maine Coast!