It might be the middle of summer, but stores are showing back to school items and that means it is time to start planning a getaway to the Maine Coast for Leaf Peeping Season!
Typically from mid-late September through mid-October, the scenery in already spectacular Kennebunkport becomes painted with stunning and vibrant hues during fall foliage. Sometimes known as “Indian Summer” fall foliage season brings the changing of the leaves to New England, and we are so lucky to be situated perfectly for enjoying the beauty of the Maine coast and incredible color displays.
And while there isn’t anything not to like, here are my personal favorites for a “Top 10” list for Leaf Peeping season:
10. Cooler temps for sunset strolls along the water wearing sweatshirts or light jackets. And returning to the Maine Stay Inn for snuggling (by the fire, anyone?) with your special someone!
9. Scenic hikes along any of the trails of Southern Maine. Mount Agamenticus, the Wells Reserve, the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust, and the Kennebunk Land Trust offer countless trails and thousands of protected acres around the area. Hiking is the classic fall activity and perfect for getting up close and personal with the colors. Or awesome shots for Instagram!
8. Apple picking! Autumn is apple season, and there is nothing better than picking your own to enjoy! Bite into the freshest fruit you’ve ever eaten or bring them home to make apple pie a la mode.
7. Viewing the fall colors from the water. Both the Schooner Eleanor and the Pineapple Ketch set sail from the harbor just blocks from our Kennebunkport Bed and Breakfast and offer a unique way to enjoy the colors of fall foliage season.
6. Breakfast on the porch. While breakfast outdoors is something people think of in the summer months, there is nothing better than starting off the day of leaf peeping and sight seeing with a hearty gourmet breakfast. Plus, heat lamps take off the chill on crisp mornings!
5. Strolls along the beach are even more beautiful during the autumn season, with gorgeous views of the Maine Coast and the changing of the leave. And since doggies are allowed now, you can enjoy watching lots of canine friends frolicking at the beach!
4. Freshly baked cookies and cappuccino in the afternoon. Throughout the autumn months the days tend to be warm, especially through September, by the time afternoon tea time starts, the on-shore breeze usually means that a warm beverage and freshly baked goodies are a welcome treat.
3. Pumpkin Spice – you might not find a Starbucks in Kennebunkport Maine for your signature PSL, but local coffee hotspot, Mornings in Paris, has lots of fantastic fall themed beverage perfect for enjoying while strolling through our seaside village. And Pumpkin spiced favorites will crop up on menus around town.
2. Cooler weather means plenty of time lounging by the fire – what a treat!
1. And finally, the amazing color of Fall foliage! The colors of the leaves are gorgeous enjoy close up, far in the distance, and everywhere you look all around the Maine Coast during Leaf Peeping season.
No matter how you choose to enjoy your fall foliage getaway to the Maine Coast, you are sure to enjoy a colorful and relaxing escape in Kennebunkport, Maine.