The leaves are finally falling here in Kennebunkport Maine (although many are remarkably still near their peak), and the town is settling in to its even more relaxed rhythm. But an evening run along the beach a few nights ago got me thinking about why November in Maine is so spectacular. Granted, I am a little partial – my very first visit to Kennebunkport was at Thanksgiving, so this season brings back so many wonderful memories. That said, the late fall is incredible! So here are my top ten reasons to visit town this month:
A November Sunset in Kennebunkport Maine
10. Decorations – whether you choose to visit near the beginning and witness spooky Halloween decor or fun celebrations of the autumn harvest (think houses decked out with pumpkins, gourds, hay bales, and cornstalks) or instead arrive as Kennebunkport Maine prepares for its annual Christmas Prelude festival, it is sure to be beautiful. Honestly, I am astounded each day as I drive through the community by the lengths locals go to “get in the spirit” this time of year. Strolls through the historic districts of Kennebunkport and Kennebunk alike are sure to amaze you. Plus, at our Kennebunkport Bed and Breakfast, we’ve got self-guided tours to steer you in the right direction!
9. The beaches – yes, at this time of year they’re quiet. Perfect for drinking in unobstructed views of the sea. With no sand castle obstacles at your feet, you could walk for hours without any interruption. Leave your cell in the car and you’re certain to enjoy a true escape!
8. Snuggling by a roaring fire! Honestly, what could be better than cuddling with your special someone on a chilly night? One you don’t have to stoke yourself! So pour yourself a mug of cocoa, slip into a cozy robe, and let the relaxation begin.
7. Thanksgiving – okay, I’ve got to put in a plug for one of my favorite holidays. No only is everyone getting into the holiday spirit, their visits are drama free – yep, no family squabbles here! Not in the mood for cooking a turkey with all the fixings? Let one of our Kennebunkport restaurants do it for you, or just join us for light refreshments (and fabulous company) in the evening.
6. Fall foods – everyone seems to have hopped aboard the local food train, and we’re simply stoked! So in addition to Maine staples gracing your plates, you’re sure to find some delectable fall faves – pumpkin, cranberry, yams and more. And breakfast at the Maine Stay is no exception – seasonal recipes, here we come!
5. Dinner when you want it. This quieter season means tables are to be had (with and even without reservations) at the choicest of dining times. So what’s for dinner?
4. Crunching through the fallen leaves. Enough said.
3. Early sunrises – that means plenty of time for a sunrise hike or a brisk morning run before tucking into one of our hearty morning meals. And what could beat a sunrise over the Atlantic?
2. Shopping - bargains, deals, and steals, oh my! There are savings to be had at all the boutiques in Dock Square and Lower Village, as well as at the famous Kittery and Freeport Outlets, so get all of your holiday shopping done during one trip and at unbeatable prices.
1. The deals! November 1 marked the start of our “Peaceful Season,” which means you’ll get the same great accommodations, wonderful food, and special treatment you’ve come to expect at our Kennebunkport Bed and Breakfast, but at low, low prices – don’t miss out!