Now that the summer solstice is just hours away, I thought I would reflect on some of my favorite things to do in Kennebunkport during the summer. Granted there are about a million things to do in the area and countless places to eat, so this isn’t even close to
exhaustive, but these are the things I most look forward to during the summer months. So here goes!
- Picnic dinners on the water. And while I am a food lover, it’s not the cuisine that matters, because let’s face it – everything tastes better in the ocean air! But since Kennebunkport Maine is known for its lobster, I am certainly partial to the idea of a lobster dinner! So if I was hankering for lobsters with all the fixin’s, I would head out to Cape Pier Chowder House and enjoy a meal overlooking Cape Porpoise Harbor and the sun setting over the moored lobster boats. But what I really love is grabbing snacks and sides from Cape Porpoise kitchen and picking up a boiled lobster from Port Lobster, which is a perfect stop between the Maine Stay Inn and Colony beach. Plus, with a jetty sticking out into the Atlantic, there’s no better spot to enjoy a sunset picnic without worrying about sand getting in your food or bugs “bugging” you!
- Riding bikes through Kennebunkport. Cruising through the historic district and waterfront streets is always beautiful, but sometimes I’m in the mood for a longer ride, so I’ll head out to Goose Rocks Beach (don’t forget your water bottle!) and enjoy some time on the beach. But I have to admit, I always have an ulterior motive when heading that direction – Goose Rocks Dairy, a family run ice cream shop with incredible homemade ice creams. And with such generous portions, a bike ride is a great excuse for some sustenance!
- Water sports of any kind – seriously. Whether it’s surfing, stand up paddle boarding, wake boarding, kayaking or canoeing, I am all in! And if you’re game for something a little more leisurely, you can pick up a spectacular sailboat ride on the Schooner Eleanor just down the street from our Kennebunkport bed and breakfast.
- Fun in the sun! I love the beach as the next person, and there’s nothing better than a leisurely day on the beach. Unlike some vacation destinations, visiting the beach is a breeze (especially with the complimentary parking passes we provide!), with no schlepping required since your parking spot is just steps from the sand. But the protected beach at the Wells Reserve is one of the area’s hidden gems, so while you’re in for a bit of a stroll, you’ll find yourself on a nearly deserted beach. And what could be better than that?
- Breakfast on the porch, of course! Sometimes referred to as the front porch of Kennebunkport, you can enjoy gourmet breakfast served on our wraparound porch, and watching the horse drawn carriage go by with a cup of coffee in hand is my favorite way to start the day.
Now that the Summer Solstice is upon us, that means loads of daylight to enjoy your favorite summer past times in Kennebunkport. So whether you’re into dining and shopping or surfing and sailing, Kennebunkport has got the summer activities for you!