Can you believe that the end of January is already here and that February for lovers is about to begin in Kennebunkport?! Well I sure can’t! Now if only I had a Valentine…. But that won’t hold me back from enjoying such a wonderful love-filled time in the area. And all of us in Kennebunkport know that it’s just not enough to celebrate love for one another for a single day, so you can enjoy the Valentine’s Day spirit all month long in town. While there aren’t millions of organized events that make February for Lovers a thing, all of the shops and businesses in town, including the Maine Stay Inn band together to bring the spirit of romance alive for the entire month of February. So it’s time to get crackin’ and plan your special getaway to Kennebunkport next month and show your special someone just how much you really care for them! And if you need inspiration for romantic gestures, special dinners, or intimate activities just for two, all of us at the Maine Stay are happy to help plan as many or few details as you’d like. It’s time to make sure that next month includes a romantic getaway for the record books, so don’t miss out on February for Lovers and an entire month of Valentine’s Days in Kennebunkport!
Posts Tagged ‘romantic getaways’
January 29th, 2014 by Judi Hauer
January 22nd, 2014 by Judi Hauer
Now that MLK weekend has passed, it really seems that love is in the air, and Kennebunkport Maine is no exception. This morning’s brief dusting of snow gave way to bright blue skies, and despite the chilly temps, it was one of those days that was just perfect for a romantic Valentine’s Getaway. The sun was shining, the snow glittered on the bare tree branches, and the sunlight sparkled on the ocean waves. Downtown Kennebunkport Maine looked especially charming, and the shops were primed for browsing – and warming up during an outdoor stroll. With Valentine’s Day around the corner, it really is time to plan that romantic getaway for you and your special someone. And snow bunny or not, a Kennebunkport Maine bed and breakfast, like the Maine Stay Inn, is a perfect place for your intimate escape! With gourmet breakfast, yummy afternoon snacks, and hosts dedicated to making sure your stay goes without a hitch in a seaside village known for its world class dining and great shopping opportunities, what more could you need! Consider a room or suite in the main house, a historic Kennebunkport inn, and savor gourmet breakfast served to you in our Victorian dining room. Or, for the option of breakfast in bed, choose one of the Cottage Suites for breakfast delivered to your door. Yes, I mean room service! Having steaming, gourmet breakfast delivered to your door is a little out of the ordinary for a Maine bed and breakfast, but we like to do things that are out of the ordinary. You’ll get the same delicious meal served in dining room, but in the privacy of your suite!
To make your Valentine’s getaway extra-special, consider indulging in a spa treatment at one of the area day spas like Cottage Breeze Day Spa. It’s close enough that you could walk, but after indulging in a relaxing massage or facial, I would sure be anxious to hop back in bed to lounge by the fire as soon as possible. And since they’ve got parking, that’s definitely the way to go. If that’s not your cup of tea or coffee, think about something every girl loves – chocolate. The Romance Package is perfect for snuggling up with your special someone for a romantic (and tasty!) weekend. Enjoy homemade dessert and a fruit and cheese plate delivered to your door OR choose a fruit and cheese plate with sparkling cider and flutes. So this Valentine’s Day, surprise your other half with a romantic getaway to Kennebunkport Maine.
January 12th, 2014 by Judi Hauer
With MLK weekend around the corner, it is starting to hit me just how quickly Valentine’s Day is approaching, and that means it’s time to start planning your romantic bed and breakfast getaway. This year, Valentine’s falls not only on a Friday, but on the Friday of a holiday weekend, which means that you can take full advantage of our Third Night Free special! So ask your neighbors to pick up
your newspaper and stay an extra night for no charge! Now that that’s sorted out, it’s time to work out the details… the room, the dining, the special surprises, etc. And at the Maine Stay Inn we’re all happy to help you iron out those details that make your getaway especially romantic. Because we know that everyone is looking for something a little different in their romantic bed and breakfast getaway, each room is individually designed and there are no two alike. But you can be sure that they’ve all got plush, comfy beds, fine linens, and those little details that really distinguish a bed and breakfast from a hotel. Browsing the website can give you a feel for the each of the rooms an suites, but if you’d prefer some input, we’re always happy to help.
Fortunately, there are lots of restaurants in Kennebunkport Maine that set the mood for a romantic meal, but if you’d like dessert delivered to your room, we can certainly handle that too. Are flowers a must for your special someone? We’ve got great florists in the area that can have your ideal arrangement waiting for you on arrival. But one of the things that I think sets the Maine Stay apart from other romantic bed and breakfasts is the ability to have your breakfast delivered to most of our suites! And honestly, what could be better than breakfast in bed during Valentine’s Weekend? But almost no matter what you’ve got in mind for your romantic bed and breakfast getaway, anyone at the Maine Stay Inn is happy to help make it possible!
November 24th, 2013 by Judi Hauer
Anniversaries are a very special event in each of our lives, and today we had the pleasure of sharing a very special one at our Maine bed and breakfast, as innkeepers Judi and Walter celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. But no matter the number of years, it is always a treat to witness the caring and affection shared by couples who treat each other to a little bit of luxury during this special getaway. Although, I have to admit, when it comes to anniversaries, we don’t usually see too much of the love-birds, because they often enjoy the opportunity to have breakfast delivered to the door in some of our suites! So while Judi and Walter were still up early, buzzing about the Maine Stay, they had the opportunity to share their special day with some wonderful visitors, some of whom were even celebrating anniversaries of their own. And fortunately for visitors and residents alike, there are almost limitless possibilities for enjoying a romantic dinner in the Kennebunkport area. Whether you want an intimate candle-lit dinner overlooking the water or a five star dining experience with servers in bow ties and cumber buns, the area around our Maine bed and breakfast has it all, which means that you can enjoy a romantic meal before heading back to the inn. And with many rooms and suites offering king sized beds, gas fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, and cozy sofas for snuggling, you can indulge in a little bit of rest, relaxation, and pampering during your anniversary getaway. Now, everyone visiting our Maine bed and breakfast will enjoy afternoon tea and freshly baked cookies and gourmet breakfast, but when folks are celebrating an anniversary, we try to add a little extra surprise to make their stay extra memorable, so the next time you have a special event to celebrate, treat your special someone to a Kennebunkport getaway!
February 27th, 2013 by Judi Hauer
On a blustery evening like tonight, there is nothing better than a cozy, romantic dinner before settling in for the night, and fortunately for everyone, Kennebunkport Maine has some great destinations that fit the bill perfectly! Now, I have to admit that sometimes on wintry nights like this one, visitors choose to bring their dinners in, to enjoy before the living room fire (yep, I’ve certainly been known to do this myself!), because it is just oh-so-tempting to hop into bed or slide into a hot bath without having to brave the elements. But when you’re hankering for a romantic dinner out, consider checking out one of these great nearby restaurants that score a perfect 10 for setting the mood.
- Just a moment’s drive from the Maine Stay Inn, you’ll find Grissini, an Italian restaurant with an upscale main floor and a more casual lower level, known as the Grotto. And on a snowy winter evening, there is
nothing more romantic than sipping a glass of your favorite wines in front of their roaring fireplace.
- Want a spot that sets the mood that’s close enough to walk to - even in the snow? The fireside lounge style dining and cozy bar area at One Dock is a great choice. Plus, with great gluten free options, it’s a personal fave.
- Just a few minutes down the road on the Wells border, you’ll find Joshua’s Restaurant. Set in a colonial farmhouse, you’ll find an intimate dining atmosphere (and yes, it has fireplaces – plural!) with positively incredible concoctions.
- But if you are looking for fine dining a little closer to home, On the Marsh Bistro is always a hit. There you’ll enjoy a stellar meal by candlelight with attentive, never oppressive service. And since it’s located about two minutes from your Kennebunkport Maine bed and breakfast, you’ll hardly have time to feel the winter chill before snuggling into bed!
So even though Valentine’s Day has passed, there are plenty of great ways to celebrate the ones you love, and enjoying a romantic dinner on a classic winter evening in Kennebunkport Maine seems tops the list.
February 13th, 2013 by Judi Hauer
Believe it or not, Valentine’s Day is upon us and that means it is the perfect time for planning romantic getaways, and what better place than to Maine bed and breakfasts?! With the landscape rejuvenated by the recent snowfall, the scene is set for an idyllic wintertime escape, so this Valentine’s Day, skip the flowers and chocolate and trade up to something extra special for the one you love and plan a getaway to take advantage of the incredible beauty of the season. For many people, the idea of Maine bed and breakfasts conjures up images of doilies and lace, fake flowers and teddy bears, which doesn’t exactly scream “romance.” But the truth is that the B&Bs of today offer amenities that are perfect for setting the mood, so it’s time to banish the idea of creaky beds and and nosy neighbors! Here are some of the things visitors enjoy during their romantic getaways:
- Say bye-bye to those kitchy patterns, because the Maine Stay Inn offers modern, contemporary, and transitional decor, as
well as updated and simplified decor that brings the main house’s Victorian identity into the 21st century! And along with it comes technology to match, with flat screen televisions and iPad/iPod docking stations.
- What could be better than snuggling up with your special someone in front of a glowing fire? Only one that you don’t have to stoke yourself! So take advantage of the ambience of the warm gas fireplaces in most rooms and suites. But if your chosen spot doesn’t offer a gas one, we’ve got electric fireplaces for that very purpose. Not to mention the fact that every visitor is always welcome to enjoy the warmth of the living room fire!
- No more shared bathrooms like Maine bed and breakfasts of the olden days, my friends, because every room and suite at the Maine Stay offers private baths, many with those features that set the scene for your romantic getaways. Yes, you’ll find showers built for two and even double whirlpool tubs!
- But romantic getaways wouldn’t be complete without breakfast in bed, and guess what? You can even find that in our cottage suites and deluxe fireplace suite 12 in the main house.
There’s no question about it – Maine bed and breakfasts really are the the spot for your next escape, and Valentine’s Day is the perfect reason to get away!
January 31st, 2013 by Judi Hauer
It’s hard to believe that February is already up on us, and while Old Man Winter is definitely still hanging around, things are heating up in Kennebunkport in anticipation of Valentine’s Day! Unlike some vacation communities, Kennebunkport doesn’t go into
hibernation during the winter months, and while restaurants, shops, and galleries usually take little breaks at some point during the season for things like renovations, family time, and staff training, little of that happens during February. And that’s because February is for Lovers! Seriously, though, the businesses of Kennebunkport have teamed up each year to make sure that you’ll have the ideal romantic getaway in town and enjoy the great shopping, dining, and recreation that you have come to expect. And with Third Night Free specials at the Maine Stay Inn, you can enjoy a much-needed respite and stay on budget.
So it’s time to get crackin’ and start planning that getaway with your special someone, because what could be better than escaping the stressors of daily life and cuddling by a glowing fire? Maybe just doing so with a steaming cup of cocoa and gooey fresh-out-of-the-oven cookies! And yep, we’ve got that. We’re also happy to help you figure out which restaurants will best fit the mood of your vay-cay and where to find your favorite wintertime activities. Just looking to snuggle and play things by ear? No problem! We’ll happily deliver a gourmet breakfast to the door of your cottage suite, so you can enjoy a leisurely breakfast in bed. And when (or if) you decide to venture out for some exploring, we’ll having afternoon cookies and hot beverages waiting for your return (mmmm… that’s making me hungry!). This February, don’t miss out on spending some quality time with your special someone in Kennebunkport Maine.
August 13th, 2012 by Judi Hauer
For some folks, coming up with ideas to add romance to your Maine vacation is a piece of cake, while for others, it’s as daunting as explaining particle physics. But no matter which camp you fall into, there is no better place to enjoy a romantic getaway than Kennebunkport Maine, with its assortment of incredible restaurants and breathtaking vistas. Nevertheless, I am going to share five of my favorite intimate adventures in the area (and get your mind out of the gutter – they’re all totally PG):
- Have a quiet picnic lunch. Seriously, what could be more relaxing that picking up a gourmet lunch at one of our favorite markets with high-end prepared foods and layering on a bottle of wine and an assortment of cheese? Nada, that’s what I think! And fortunately for us at the Kennebunkport Maine Stay Inn, there are plenty of quiet, tucked-away spots just a stone’s throw from the inn.
- Choose the perfect room. Think about a favorite color or whether you (or rather your special someone) likes a fireplace or a whirlpool tub. Those little details can go a long way in setting the right tone for your Maine vacation. And consider one of our Cottage Suites, because the option for having breakfast delivered to your door and indulging in breakfast in bed is something you can’t really have at home. But if you need guidance, the staff of our Kennebunkport Maine Bed and Breakfast is happy to help!
- Take schooner or sailboat ride. Kennebunkport is fortunate to have several companies that offer trips on large, multi-masted schooners, and they all provide relaxing cruises along the coastline for small groups. There’s little worry when it comes to seasickness, because the captains won’t go out if the water is rough. So sit back, relax and enjoy each other’s company while drinking in the views of the Maine coastline.
- Enjoy a romantic dinner at one of Kennebunkport’s many excellent restaurants. At the Maine Stay, we’re happy to help guide you to a spot with just the right vibe, whether that means dining by candlelight or something fresh and modern.
- Catch a sunset! There’s something so romantic about watching the sky light up in the evening right by your partner’s side, and Kennebunkport is known for some pretty spectacular displays. Dock Square, with its historic facades and waterfront location, is often an ideal backdrop for a beautiful sunset, but there are also plenty of quiet coves along the coast that offer seclusion and a place for lounging (or, if you’re feeling creative, a great spot for a sunset picnic!).
So seize the opportunity to inject a little romantic spirit into your Maine Bed and Breakfast experience, but keep in mind that the staff at the Maine Stay has lots of great ideas (okay, not all of them are original, as plenty of guests have given us some great ones over the years), and they are all happy to share with you. Happy planning!
February 14th, 2012 by Judi Hauer
Love was certainly in the air this Valentine’s Day in Kennebunkport Maine, and the Maine Stay was no exception! We started off the day with a festive breakfast, dishing up our signature crustless quiche with steaming raspberry muffins and homemade cranberry applesauce, though I must admit that my attempts to form it into little hearts was a bit of a flop. Couples gathered around the table in our Kennebunkport Maine Bed and Breakfast, and they all really seemed to hit it off, even sharing how long they’ve been together (of course I’ll spill the beans – they ranged from still dating to married for well over 3o years). But while some chose to be social, others preferred to spend Valentine’s Day enjoying breakfast in bed (and considering the chilly temps this morning, I was a little envious!). To banish the cold after a long afternoon walk, guests shared their “excess” candy (does such a thing actually exist?) and we enjoyed steaming mugs of cocoa with whipped cream shaped into hearts – can you tell I love Valentine’s?
In my mind, however, the best part is helping visitors figure out what Kennebunkport Maine Restaurant is going to make their evening exactly as they imagined. This year, though, people really were planners, and, quite surprisingly, many dining reservations had already been made. So it was easy to tell that the big winners today were Bandaloop, 50Local, and On the Marsh. Now, there’s no judgement there – those were just the most popular one guests selected for dining tonight. This might actually be the first time that none of our Valentine’s diners chose to head to the White Barn Inn, and instead opted for one of the lower key establishments that make Kennebunkport Maine what it is. Later, however, when I looked into dinner reservations for myself, I was pleased to find quite a few places were fully booked. Just another reason to book your Kennebunkport Maine Bed and Breakfast reservations early! But as Valentine’s Day draws to a close, the guests are discovering the allure of our whirlpool tubs and romance of our many glowing gas fireplaces. Happy Valentine’s Day from Kennebunkport Maine!
February 10th, 2012 by Judi Hauer
Tis the season to pull out all the stops when it comes to planning your romantic getaway, and Kennebunkport Maine restaurants never fail to impress. Now, you’ve surely earned bonus points for planning this intimate escape to a Maine Bed and Breakfast, but picking the perfect spot for a special meal is sure to be the hot fudge to your ice cream sundae – it’s a critical team player. However, over the last few years, I have really come to recognize that everyone has a different take on what makes a romantic evening, so I will try to provide something for everyone (though, Dad, you’re out of luck – pizza and beer while watching CSPAN is not going to make the cut).
- The White Barn Inn is basically the epitome of “wining and dining” in Kennebunkport Maine. Their wine list is more than extensive and their prix fixe menu offers a wine pairing option. The atmosphere, while very formal, is certainly intimate
with cozy tables, low lights, deep colors, and lots of candles. But gents, if you aren’t comfortable in a jacket, pass on this one, as they are required.
- On the Marsh Bistro is an excellent option for visitors looking for romantic Kennebunkport Maine restaurants, but at about half the price of their aforementioned competitor. The charming dining rooms here overlook the marsh and feature endless nooks for enjoying your evening out with your other half without being distracted by other diners. If the ocean calls, consider the Cape Arundel Inn, whose vibe is much more airy, but equally as impressive.
- Joshua’s Restaurant is another wonderful choice, providing some of the freshest cuisine around. They utilize lots of local and organic ingredients, but the setting in an antique farmhouse with wide plank floors and open hearths make this a no-brainer for romantic dining.
- Sometimes, though, your evening for two just means a night out with excellent food and an atmosphere conducive for eye-gazing and quiet whispering. If that’s the case, check out Bandaloop Restaurant and Grissini (where I am particularly fond of the atmosphere in their lower level) – plus, both are just a hop, skip, and a jump from our Kennebunkport Bed and Breakfast.
- Don’t want the night to end? Consider capping it off with a stop at Old Vines Wine Bar, which offers delectable tapas style dishes and an extensive wine list. The vibe is amazing and definitely right on the mark when it comes to setting the mood for a romantic getaway.
While any one of these incredible Kennebunkport Maine Restaurants would be ideal for a romantic evening, this list was certainly not exhaustive. So get out and explore the awesome options in the area and get crackin’ on your Valentine’s getaway plans!