Upon my return to Kennebunkport, ME, after an innkeeping conference, I began to ponder why so many people have the wrong idea about a wintertime Maine vacation. I can’t tell you how many times I was asked what I do in the winter, as though Kennebunkport is some kind of arctic tundra where all forms of life hibernate with the cold temperatures. Granted, the conference was held in the South, where the definition of “cold” hovers around the mid 50s. But honestly, there are just far too many
misconceptions about Maine in the winter (namely that we actually require chains on our tires – definitely NOT true – and that life comes to a grinding halt once the mercury drops below freezing – umm… even less true), so I have decided to share with you a list of my five favorite things to do in the winter.
- Play with the horses! Okay, maybe not actually play with them, but certainly enjoy their presence. Rockin’ Horse Stables conducts regular horse-drawn sleigh rides in the winter, complete with warm blankets and cocoa. If there’s not quite enough of the white stuff, though, you’ll likely see the carriage being pulled through the historic district surrounding our Kennebunkport Me Bed and Breakfast. Don’t you worry, though, if it was actually dangerously cold, they wouldn’t risk the horses’ health. (Or yours. But I won’t venture to guess who they’re more worried about!)
- Eat. One of the best things about a Maine Vacation (or, in my case, living here) is there there is always amazing food. Whether you indulge in a five-star, five-diamond feast or just a delicious bowl of chowder, this town’s got you covered, no matter the season!
- Retail therapy – many people choose a wintertime getaway to Kennebunkport Maine because they’re in need of some serious relaxation. And what better way is there to de-stress than with some shopping? Although the shops do tend to keep less predictable (but not necessarily shorter) hours, they are ready and waiting for you and your plastic (or paper, they won’t discriminate!)
- Explore! Kennebunkport is home to miles of trails and paths just begging for some love. But I know there are plenty of folks who aren’t as apt to brave the chilly air, so area museums and art centers are a great substitution.
- Hit the beach! Now, I don’t necessarily recommend donning your bikini or swim trunks, but the ocean is certainly no less beautiful now than it is during your Maine vacation in the summer. The surf is even more striking, so grab your camera (and your mittens!) and head to the beach.
Hmmm… sounds strangely familiar, doesn’t it? Last time I checked, those were some of my favorite things to do during the summer too! So sneak away for a few days (or just a night) and see for yourself why Kennebunkport is a great place to visit in the winter!