Thank goodness we decided to install the air conditioning units in our Kennebunkport Maine bed and breakfast this week, because we sure needed them today! After some passing thunderstorms overnight last night, we all awoke to bright blue skies and warm temps. And as the day progressed, the thermometer soared into the high 80s, sending folks flocking to the water. Thank goodness it’s just a stone’s throw away! But honestly, today was a reminder of just how glorious a Maine Summer Vacation is in Kennebunkport Maine. So while we provide the beach towels, chairs, umbrellas, and even sand toys, the only decision you have to make is which of the awesome beaches you’re going to visit! So to help you figure out which ones you want to hit during your visit to Kennebunkport Maine, here’s a recap of our faves:
- Colony Beach is just about a half mile away, and while it’s a super short drive (although there isn’t oodles of parking), it’s definitely the place to go if you want to stroll to the beach. Plus, since the Maine Stay Inn is just one block from the harbor, you can drink in the view and the beautiful boats during your walk. So while it has just a short stretch of sand, Colony Beach also offers a beautiful jetty (hello, sunset viewing) and some of the craggy rocks that many think of when they imagine the Maine coastline.
- Gooch’s Beach, just over the bridge in Kennebunk, is just a mile away (and an easy walk), but when you’re toting chairs, umbrellas, and coolers, most folks choose to drive. And since our Kennebunkport Maine bed and breakfast provides parking passes to these beaches, you can park right alongside at no charge! This super long stretch of sand is ideal for walking, relaxing, and even building sand castles, and since it has life guards on duty, it’s great for swimmers of all ages.
- If you head a little further down Beach Avenue, you’ll hit Middle Beach, which tends to have the most parking options, and while it has just small sandy areas, it it primarily a rocky stretch, both with craggy rocks and smooth polished pebble regions. This is my favorite spot for quite reading and reflection.
- Continue around the bend and you’ll find Mother’s Beach, which is ideal for families. With a deep sandy beach and bounded on both ends with rocky areas and a playground, it’s a spot that’s full of fun… and easy for parents to keep an eye on their little ones!
- Looking for a little solitude? Check out the beach at Laudholm Farm at the Wells Reserve. While it’s a light “hike” down to the beach, you’ll find a secluded stretch that is sure to recharge the soul.
- Goose Rocks Beach in the northern part of Kennebunkport Maine also offers a glorious crescent shaped beach. It’s a great spot for collecting sand dollars and oogling at gorgeous beach houses – and you might even catch a glimpse of the rocks that look like geese on the water!
We’re expecting more of this steamy summer weather for the next few days, which means that you can hit up each of the amazing beaches in the area and still have time to explore the shops and restaurants in town. The towels and beach chairs are ready, so just bring your sunscreen, because it is official – summer has arrived in Kennebunkport Maine!