It’s not too often that someone’s perfect summertime vacation is the same when they’re three as when they’re 23, but for me, that’s the case – hands down, I would pick a Maine Bed and Breakfast! For as long as I can remember, my parents have taken me to BnBs, but from the time I tasted my first lobster, I have had an affinity for Maine. When I
visited Kennebunkport Maine at age 15, I knew I had found my perfect vacation spot – and obviously I would choose an inn or B&B. Now a local, I’ll give you 10 tips for what I would do during my perfect summer getaway to a Maine Bed and Breakfast:
10. Eat lots of lobster. Lots. Some people express that they become “lobster-ed out.” Personally, I don’t get it. I could eat lobster every day, but if you do, there are oodles of other options fresh from the sea – don’t miss ‘em. But when you choose indulge, don’t crack into one at a fancy Kennebunkport Maine restaurant. Do it right and have it cooked at the local fish market or go to one of our lobster shacks.
9. Catch a sunset from the bridge joining Kennebunk and Kennebunkport Maine. It’s stunning, and it’s incredibly close to a passel of great spots for dinner or dessert!
8. Go for a bike ride. The area around our Maine Bed and Breakfast is packed with incredible historic homes, featuring amazing architecture, as well as glimpses of the Maine coastline. Fill your lungs with fresh salt air while you work up an appetite (more lobster anyone?), and enjoy some of the things that make Kennebunkport a quintessential New England town.
7. Explore Kennebunkport’s art galleries and community art center. The area’s connection to the artistic community is one of the things that sets Kennebunkport apart from other resort towns, so don’t miss out!
6. Play a game of bocce ball in the backyard of our Maine Bed and Breakfast. Not your cup of tea? How about volleyball? If you’re looking for some extra relaxation, the hammock or reclining lounge chairs and a good book might beckon.
5. Take a horse-drawn carriage ride. No, they’re not just reserved for fairy tales and the royal wedding. There is
something so relaxing about the clip-clop of horse hooves and the swish of their tails. So turn off your smartphone and step back in time – plus you’ll get a chance to hear the history of the area, but only if you want to!
4. Check out some lighthouses. I can’t figure out exactly why they are so captivating, but they are! You can’t go inside very many, but I could stare at them for hours. Something about the history behind the buildings and the fact that they still stand, despite centuries of assault by the sea, makes them magical.
3. Choose to have breakfast on the porch. It’s the perfect opportunity to savor gourmet breakfast in the sea air and watch this sleepy New England town as it wakes up.
2. Enjoy our phenomenal beaches! Most of the Maine coast features rocks and cliffs that aren’t exactly foot-friendly, but Kennebunkport Maine offers miles of soft, sandy shoreline. Parson’s beach, just over the bridge in Kennebunk, is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Please don’t miss it. Since there is only parking for a handful of cars, hit this spot by bike or at off-peak hours, like the early morning or in the late afternoon.
1. Choose to stay in a Maine Bed and Breakfast! You’ll get much more bang for your buck, and the whole staff will dedicate themselves toward making sure your vacation is absolutely perfect.
Granted, these are just my favorite things to do on vacation in Kennebunkport Maine, and I don’t claim that these things are going to make the perfect vacation for you. Now it’s your turn to visit this incredible area and compile your list. And please share!