I may be a little biased, but I think Kennebunkport Maine is the perfect spot for your Summer Vacation! Seriously, though, Kennebunkport is the ideal spot to spend a holiday. As a kid, my family tried out oodles of vacation destinations throughout New England, and only visited the Kennebunks during the winter (which is also pretty great, I might add!), never finding that special spot that had everything we wanted. Soon after moving to the area, we discovered the error of our ways – so here’s my list of the top five reasons Kennebunkport Maine is the ultimate Summer Vacation:
- There are amazing restaurants! I have absolutely no patience for mediocre food, especially when you’re in a tourist area. Going away is supposed to be a special treat for yourself and your loved ones. Bad food is not. If you can get better food at Chili’s than when you’re on vacation, something is definitely amiss. You won’t find that here! This is truly a town for foodies. Home to a fantastic food and wine festival (the Kennebunkport Festival, previously known as the Kennebunkport Fine Living Festival) and the only five star, five diamond restaurant north of NYC, this community is brimming with incredible digs.
- Incredible beaches! Kennebunkport Maine has been rated one of the top beach communities in the country. They’re not wrong.
- It’s nearby, but feels worlds away! Honestly, I don’t want to drive too far for my getaway (and I don’t even have to deal with the “Are we there yet?” chorus) – it’s just not fun. Unlike many other favorites summer vacation towns, Kennebunkport is just 90 easy highway minutes from downtown Boston and less than a tank of gas away from much of the Northeast. Plus, once you get here, you’ll feel like you’ve stepped back in time, to when life moved slowly, strangers were friendly and helpful, and homes were crafted like works of art.
- There’s tons to do or nothing to do, depending on what you want! Aching for a relaxing vacay? Nothing could be better than lounging on the beaches, reading a book in our backyard hammock, and getting served gourmet breakfast daily! If you’re looking for something a little higher energy, check out the great walking/riding paths, amazing museums, awesome galleries and shops, fantastic theaters, and phenomenal parks/nature preserves. There really is something for everyone here!
- You can be car-less! And not just because gas is so pricey. There is something so wonderful about not having to drive somewhere, something that separates you from your everyday life. From our Kennebunkport Bed and Breakfast, you can walk to just about anything! And if you can’t walk it, rent a bike!
Now that Spring has finally sprung, it’s time to plan that special Summer Vacation. So this year, don’t take a gamble, choose Kennebunkport!